Saturday, August 2, 2008

3 to Headquarters. Hello? Helloooooooo?

I'm still around. Sorry I've barely been posting. It's just been the same old stuff, as I'm sure you know. I'm getting really frustrated with my job and once again I'm thinking about going back into the computer field... and being more serious about it this time.

There's been a lot of stuff bugging the hell out of me in just the last week and I don't think I can accomplish any of it while still being a low-paid dispatcher. I wouldn't make much more in the computer industry, but it would certainly help. The problem I'm running into, though, is have I been out of the field for too long already? A perfect example of that is Windows Vista. I only used it a few times since I was last a tech, back in early September 2007. I haven't really touched it since. Sure, maybe on my girlfriends laptop, but that's hardly administering a computer from the business perspective. I'd be lost if I walked into a company that just upgraded to Vista computers.

Dispatching is an "easy" job. WAIT! Before you shoot at me for saying that... I meant I don't have to drive all over the place fixing computers and listening to stupid people who don't have a clue what they're doing. Instead, I sit in my cell, staring at the same 4 walls, answering phones where there's usually a stupid person on the other end of the line. When there's no calls, I sit there with my feet up on the desk and watch TV, play sudoku on my phone, or talk to myself.

It's fun sometimes. Especially since I'm on midnights and the only people around are about 3 patrol officers and a patrol sergeant. Unless they come in for reports, arrests, or to randomly read the paper, I'm on my own.

We'll see how it turns out. I'll keep you updated. I'll also try to post more. There's been some stuff I wanted to bring up, but I have my hands in too many different things right now and I'm being stretched thin.

Dispatcher 6

No comments: